Besides partnering with several organisations in our inner-city outreach work, we are in
partnership with Lutheran churches abroad. This makes the experience of Church being the
worldwide body of Christ all the more tangible.
These partnerships provide opportunities
1. to get to know – up front and personal – sisters and brothers across the globe.
2. to learn from experiences others have made of being active christians in other
cultural and economic settings.
3. to share our spiritual and economic resources in the service to those suffering and
destitute amongst us.
These partnerships are quite diverse in scope and intensity:
1. There is a longstanding partnership between the Durban Circuit (and uMgeni and uMvoti
Circuits) and the Circuit of Melle-Georgsmarienhütte in Germany (Church of Hanover).
This partnership has been ongoing since the early 1970s.
Click here for info on history: http://www.eilers-
…and here for more information on partnership activities: http://friends-of-partnership.net/
2. St. Michael’s Congregation in Durban Central Parish has a long standing partnership with
the Gemeinde Liblar of the Friedenskirche Erfstadt near Cologne/ Germany
3. The parish is part of the Lutherans Building Bridges (LBB) partnership. As such
congregations of the ELCSA in the Durban Circuit and from our sister church the NELCSA
http://www.nelcsa.net/) come together once a year in a joint service. Furthermore pastors
from both churches meet regularly during the year.
4. As a result of the partnership between ELCSA and ELM (Evangelical Lutheran Mission in
Lower Saxony – formerly known as “Hermannsburg Mission”https://www.elm-
mission.net/startseite.html) Rev.Dr.Joe Lüdemann from ELM is serving as a pastor in ELCSA.
Furthermore a volunteer from ELM is serving in NGO’s, with whom St. Michael’s
congregation has a relationship (Children Care Centre Creche in Pickering Str. and the iCare
organisation for streetkids).