The Durban Central Parish is in a partnership relationship with Lutheran churches abroad.
This makes the experience of Church being the worldwide body of Christ all the more
These partnerships provide opportunities:
– to get to know up front and personal sisters and brothers across the globe.
– to learn from experiences others have made of being active christians in other
cultural and economic settings.
– to share our spiritual and economic resources in the service to those suffering and
destitute amongst us.
These partnerships are quite diverse in scope and intensity:
1. There is a longstanding partnership between the Durban Circuit (and uMgeni and uMvoti
Circuits) and the Circuit of Melle-Georgsmarienhütte in Germany (Church of Hanover).
Click here for more information on partnership activities.
2. St. Michael’s Congregation in Durban Central Parish has a long standing partnership with
the Gemeinde Liblar of the Friedenskirche Erfstadt near Cologne/ Germany.
3. The parish is part of the Lutherans Building Bridges (LBB) partnership. As such
congregations of the ELCSA in the Durban Circuit and from our sister church the NELCSA
come together once a year in a joint service. Furthermore pastors from both churches meet
regularly during the year.
4. As a result of the partnership between ELCSA and ELM (Evangelical Lutheran Mission in
Lower Saxony – formerly known as “Hermannsburg Mission”) Rev.Dr.Joe Lüdemann from
ELM is serving as a pastor in Durban Central Parish/ ELCSA-SED.
Furthermore a volunteer from ELM is serving in NGO’s in the EThekwini inner-city area –
the Children Care Centre Creche in Pickering Str. – a creche for refugee and South African
kids in the inner city as well as at iCare – a streetkid assistance organisation.